For those of you who know me, you know that I've completed 3 full and 1 half marathons (1 and 1/2 of which I did on back to back days this past January in my first Goofy's Challenge). It all started about 4 years ago when I decided that running a marathon was on my "life list of things to do." I signed up to run the 2004 Marine Corps Marathon through Team in Training. It was such a life-changing experience for me, marked by lots of sweat and tears, but ultimately a very fulfilling sense of accomplishment and complete awe at the power of mind over matter ("matter" being your legs turning into jello, your body shutting down at mile 23, and the intense desire to just lay down at the side of the road and give up).
There is such a feeling of community (which can also at times be called "commiseration") amongst runners. Since my first marathon, I've been able to brainwash...er, I mean motivate, some friends to join me in the world of running distance races. Most of them, whether they'll admit that the experience was positive or negative, have had the desire to come back for more. After running several races, I have learned that the challenge is not racing the people beside you...it's racing against yourself (against age, injury, weight gain, sober Saturday nights before long run Sundays, etc...). Now that I'm hooked, I am on the perpetual mission of a new challenge (hence, the crazy Goofy's Challenge) or a new PR (personal record). Many people who haven't experienced this "runner's high" just think that I'm crazy and can't ever imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing. Well, a few weeks ago, I watched a phenomenal documentary called "Spirit of the Marathon." It chronicled the journey of 6 athletes (from first-time marathoners to elite runners to a 65-yr old man) who were training for the Chicago Marathon. The documentary very accurately depicts the ups and downs of training for and running a marathon. As I watched in the theatre, I once again felt the camraderie of the running community as all the people in the theatre knowingly laughed or commiserated with the athletes on the big screen. Jokes only marathoners can appreciate like the first-timer being asked by her friends "did you win the marathon?" or "how many miles is THAT marathon?" elicited sympathetic giggles. One of the best lines was after the film was over, they ran a line across the screen that said "In the time that it took you to watch this documentary, most elite runners have just completed mile 20." This film was truly inspiring, and I think it answers the question of "why do I run?" Here's a clip if you want just a little taste of my "high":
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Sandy,
Great post! What you wrote is so true. I particularly like what you wrote about motivating other people & your comments about running against yourself & not the people beside you.
I think it's great that you've motivated so many of your friends to join you in your quest for fitness. It's lots of fun to have your friends join you, eh?! ;-)
I'm trying to do similar things with my running blog & related social networking groups -- A lot of my friends & family have told me that they're now working out more regularly because they've been inspired by my own efforts.
Doesn't that feel great to know that you're spurring on so many people to do things they never even thought possible?! ;-)
Great job motivating everyone else around you!
Hope to see you at the next local race, or perhaps at one of Bryan's parties! ;-)
-C
Post a Comment